5.01.2009

I'm Happy Because...

Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God... in which you shine like stars in the universe!

This verse has always hit home to me, because far too often, I find many more things to complain about than to be thankful for! The terrible thing is that this is not because I am lacking in things to be thankful for - in fact the list goes on and on. It is just simply my nature (and maybe human nature in general) to automatically point out the things that get you down in life. I think God has been bringing this verse once again to my mind in this last stage of pregnancy, because - really, I would have no trouble at all spilling out a list of the unpleasant things at this particular stage of pregnancy.

When I was thinking about these things this morning, I remembered a "game" that we used to "play" sometimes in high school. I was very fond of the game, but I am not really sure that anyone else (except maybe Steph!) was really a fan. It sort of went like this: we'd be on a trip in a broken down bus with no air conditioning, at school with WAY too much to get done, or just overloaded with little annoyances of life. Everyone would be talking about just how bad things were, so one of us would say, "I'm happy because..." and we would all come up with things that there were to be happy about despite our circumstances. Now, I look back on this game with great fondness, but I am afraid that some others may have just found it annoying! Whatever the case, I decided that this morning, I would "play" a little game of "I'm happy because...", since I really do have so many things to be thankful for today! So, here goes:


Today, I'm Happy Because:
  • Despite what has seemed like an eternally long pregnancy, I am now at 37 weeks! If all goes as planned, then we will meet Allie no later than May 22!
  • God has kept little Allie safe and healthy so far. My doctor kept reminding me that all the sickness was really a great sign that Allie was thriving. I tried to remind myself of this from time to time while I was hunched over the toilet throwing up. Sometimes I did manage to thank God for her extreme healthiness while I was puking my guts out - sometimes I did not! But seriously, how blessed we've been that she has been healthy! I do not want to take that for granted.
  • God has chosen to bless us with a little girl. And, for all you out there who are tempted to chime in: well, you really don't know what it is until it comes..., please refrain. We've had 3 ultrasounds (at 18.5, 24, and 37 weeks) all confirming without any doubt that she is indeed a girl! I know that I would love whatever God gave us, but there was something in my heart that just yearned for a little girl. God has truly blessed us beyond measure!
  • Today is my birthday! To me, birthday's are a big deal! Our family has always made it that way. I just love having a day that's all mine! I realize that sounds very egocentric, but I guess it is what it is. My friend Karlye and I have the same birthday. We used to always dress alike on our birthdays. I miss those days... It started in 7th grade (when dressing alike actually could have been considered cool), but we just kept up the traditional all the way until 12th grade (which was not so cool - but very fun all the same)! Happy Birthday, Karlye!! I hope you have a terrific day as well!
  • Along with the birthday celebration comes all sorts of fun things such as lunch with mom and dad, dinner at Bonefish with Eric tonight, going to see Wolverine, getting a massage in the morning (which, who knows, could just send me into labor!!!), lunch with friends tomorrow, and lunch with the in-laws on Sunday! I love it when birthday's last the whole weekend!
  • Last, but not least, is that I am so happy and blessed to have such a wonderful, godly husband! Eric is my greatest encourager and my best friend. We have been married for three wonderful years - and they have been the greatest of my life! I love you, sweets! Thanks for all you do for me.

So next time you're feeling a little down-in-the-dumps or are discouraged, maybe you'll feel like playing a little round of "I'm Happy Because". I think you'll find that there really are so many things to be thankful for - you won't have to look very hard!

3 comments:

  1. What a fun way to turn your bad day into a better one... let's see today my kids have been terrible so I should def. start playing this game... I'm thankful because... there are only 3 weeks of school left! Thanks Rach! I feel much better now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got so carried away with the game I forgot to wish you Happy Birthday! Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy because...
    1)you remembered this amazing game!
    2)it's your birthday!!!
    3)I get to meet Allie very very soon!
    ~Steph

    ReplyDelete